Thenpandi Seemayile - Strings Section

About a month back, I wanted to decipher the Strings section of Thenpandi Seemayile song from Nayagan. The lead melody was easy. And with some equalization of the original track I was able to find out the notes for the rest of the orchestra. It was fun deciphering this and understanding the harmonies involved.

I sequenced the same piece on my computer. Here is the violin section, followed by the viola section, the cello and double bass section and finally all of them playing together. I am not really good at listening to a piece and reproducing it perfectly on keyboard. So if there are any wrong notes, please let me know so that I can correct them.

Thenpandi Seemayile - Strings Section Details by sripathyramesh


My next target is the opening strings section of the 'Singing Self' piece from Nothing but Wind. The good part is that I chanced upon the practice session of the orchestra at the venue for the 'Nothing But Wind' concert held at Chennai. And I recorded a small section on my mobile. Sorry for the poor audio quality. Here, you can listen to the individual sections doing the mic check and then all of them playing together. Refer the link below for the recording.

http://soundcloud.com/sripathyramesh-1/nothing-but-wind-concert-rehearsals

Do share your thoughts in the comments below.

10 comments:

  1. Good work Ramesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. what is amazing about Ilaiyaraaja songs is that, you get to listen to a totally different melody in the background, that works as a harmony. Probably we can use this harmony to make another song by itself.
    Please continue your experiments, for they only reveal his genius to us more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Aakarsh. You are indeed right. I will try to continue such experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The final combined string segment is just superb, almost like the original. I can even vividly remember the picturization. No one beats IR when it comes to such BGMs. Naayagan is out of this world! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Rajesh :)
    Yes, I undoubtedly agree with you on IR and BGMs.

    You have done a great job with the midis on your site. Very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the Nothing but Wind recording sessions. Really enjoyed listening to the same. Craving for more.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you V. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ramesh what software did you use for equalisation?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @drashkum: I used Adobe Audition

    ReplyDelete