Ilaiyaraaja's Bass

Aakarsh blogged about IR's bass while analyzing a song from Pallavi-Anupallavi. No doubt IR is a genius when it comes to orchestration, especially the Strings orchestra and the Bass work. The bass track of his song will be a seperate tune by itself providing beautiful counter melodies to the main tune. If you are wondering what is a "bass", refer wikipedia. Bass is one element of a song, without which the song would sound very empty. The bass gives a very good filling. Even songs with virtually no instruments used such as Raja Rajaadhi Rajan from Agni Natchathiram and Raasathi En Usiru from Thiruda Thiruda have used the bass guitar at a few places.

Some of the songs of IR which has very good bass tracks giving good counter melody are listed below. I know there are a lot and I would have missed many. Feel free to add them in the comments.
Since I don't recollect much now, I will add later whatever I recollect in this post. On the topic of IR's bass, one thing which I want to discuss is about a peculiar style which is present in the starting lines of the charanam of the following songs:
  1. Devan Kovil Dheepam Ondru from Naan Paadum Paadal
  2. Kodiyile Malligai Poo from Kadalora Kavithaigal
If you listen to the charanam starting, the bass tune is either the same as the lead or it plays in seconds. I am not sure. This sound is very different and gives a real nice effect.

Finally here is a nice article about bass nuances of IR, that I read sometime back - http://www.geocities.com/ilaiyaragam/rajaresearch2.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment