Maalai Pozhudhil Oru - Our version of a Bharathiar song

Presenting to you, a Bharathiar song set to tune and sung by my colleague, Sai Sundhar. He had tuned it wonderfully in Raag Bageshri and Raag Abheri. Bageshri in itself evokes a sense of yearning / a separation / waiting for reunion. I think this is exactly what this song is about and hence the choice of the raga seems to be apt.

Music was arranged by me (Sripathy Ramesh). I wanted to give emphasis to the melody and the lyrics and so I kept the arrangement/orchestration very simple and subtle. I felt I could have done a better job to keep it more interesting. Anyway, listen to it and share your feedback in the comments.


Maalai Pozhuthil Oru

Lyrics: Subramania Bharatiyar
Tuned & Sung by: Sai Sundhar Padmanabhan
Arrangement: Sripathy Ramesh
Tabla and Tanpura: RiyazStudio

Lyrics:
மாலைப் பொழுதிலொரு மேடை மிசையே
வானையும் கடலையும் நோக்கி யிருந்தேன்;
மூலைக் கடலினையவ் வான வளையம்
முத்தமிட் டேதழுவி முகிழ்த்தல் கண்டேன்;
நீல நெருக்கிடையில் நெஞ்சு செலுத்தி,
நேரங் கழிவ திலும் நினைப்பின்றியே
சாலப் பலபல நற் பகற்கனவில்
தன்னை மறந்தலயந் தன்னில் இருந்தேன்

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:55 PM

    Good attempt. Can you kindly post the lyrics of this kavithai? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have updated the lyrics in my blog post.

      Delete
  2. I really like it. I happened to stumble into Bombay Jayashree singing the same song, did not care for it at all (too much background fusion stuff, enunciation of Tamil words with no emphasis on syllables that need to be emphasized, I have my own set of criticisms of her performance of this song though I might draw the ire of her fans for saying all that; I am very fond of her too, but not the way she has sung this song). So, I went looking for someone else singing the same song and found this. Thank you. I think this is a superior rendition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Radika, Thank you very much. Glad you liked it. Credit goes to Sai Sundhar for the melody and the rendition.

      Delete
  3. Pl read my article on this romantic poem here. I have given the complete lyrics, meaning, and commentary.
    http://periscope-narada.blogspot.com/2015/06/malaippozhudil-oru-medai-misaiye.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir! That was a very nice article with the lyrics and meaning.

      Delete
  4. its soo soothing... other than bombay jaysree version i found urs oly...
    can u please do other three stanza's too...
    ஆங்கப் போழுதிநிலென் பின்புறத்திலே ஆள் வந்து நின்றெனது கண் மறைக்கவே
    பாங்கினிற் கையிரண்டும் தீண்டியறிந்தேன் பட்டுடை வீசு கமழ் தன்னிலறிந்தேன்
    ஓங்கி வரும் உவகை ஊற்றில் அறிந்தேன் ஒட்டு மிரண்டுளத்தின் தட்டில் அறிந்தேன்
    “வாங்கி விடடி கையை யேடி கண்ணம்மா! மாயம் எவரிடத்தில்?” என்று மொழிந்தேன்..
    சிரித்த ஒலியிலவள் கைவிலக்கியே திருமித் தழுவி, “செய்தி சொல்” என்றேன்
    “நெரித்த திரைக்கடலில் என்ன கண்டிட்டாய்? நீல விசும்பினிடை என்ன கண்டிட்டாய்?
    திரித்த நுரையினிடை என்ன கண்டிட்டாய்? சின்னக் குமிழிகளில் என்ன கண்டிட்டாய்?
    பிரித்துப் பிரித்து நிதம் மேகம் அளந்தே பெற்ற நலன்கள் என்ன? பேசுதி” என்றாள்..
    “நெரித்த திரைக்கடலில் நின்முகங் கண்டேன்: நீல விசும்பினுடை நின்முகங் கண்டேன்;
    திரித்த நுரையினிடே நின்முகங் கண்டேன்: சின்னக் குமிழிகளில் நின்முகங் கண்டேன்;
    பிரித்துப் பிரித்து நிதம் மேகம் அளந்தே, பெற்றதுன் முகமன்றிப் பிறிதொன்றில்லை;
    சிரித்த ஒளியினிலுன் கை விலக்கியே திருமித் தழுவியதில் நின்முகம் கண்டேன்”. ..
    wanna hear my favvv lines as a song ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The next stanzas are at a different level. I have been frantically searching if someone has covered the whole song! Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did write an article on the whole song. Pl read it here: http://periscope-narada.blogspot.com/2015/06/malaippozhudil-oru-medai-misaiye.html

      Delete